Thursday, August 16, 2007

On hold....

While the blog has been put on hold for the last month, life has not been on hold....we have traveled from one adventure to the next. It all began with a trip to the emergency room.



EMERGENCY ROOM
While at a restaurant Malia decided to see how well the bar stool with the tractor seat attached to the top would stand up. She wasn't even trying to climb it, she was just pushing the seat that was on a swivel and down it came right onto her finger. I have never heard one of my little ones cry like that before. They confirmed at the emergency room that her finger was fractured along a growth plate and that we needed to go an orthopedic specialists. I wasted several hours the next day at our family doctor and in an orthopedic office only to find out because of our insurance I needed to see a doctor at the county hospital. The pediatric orthopedic doctor would not be in for another week so we waited and finally a week later she was donning a beautiful purple cast! Her best line in all of this was right after she got her cast on as we were getting ready to go into a store she said, "Mom can I take my cast in?" She is always asking if she can take her blanket or doll into the store with us, I guess she thought she better ask about her cast as well. The cast has not slowed her down one bit!

VENTURA COUNTY FAIR
The girls and I took a trip to the fair on the opening day with a friend and my sister Keely. Most of the time was spent at the rides or near the animals. They had this cool little kids art place under a tent with paper, markers and easels for little kids to draw. The girls loved it and came home with several masterpieces. There was even a man there giving drawing lessons. We made a quick trip into the commercial building so that we could buy some little doughnuts. Lainey loved the horses and would have loved to have sat and watched the people ride them, she kept asking, "Mom when I get big can I ride horses?"
STEAM ROLLER
Lyndie has become our little steam roller, she rolls all over the place these days and has even begun to pull herself forward. I frequently come into the room and find her in a completely different part of the room. She even rolled herself off the bed one night, good thing that Justin likes to sleep with lots of pillows and they were on the floor to brace her fall! She has become very animated these days and loves to make noise, smile, and laugh. It always gets me when her sister's are on top of her, nearly smashing her and she just laughs and smiles at them. She has recently begun to eat rice cereal and loves to try and grab the spoon when she is eating.
ANNUAL BASTOW FAMILY REUNION
We were lucky enough to be able to attend Justin's mom's family reunion two years in a row, last year in Twin Falls, ID and this year as it was held in Newport Beach/Costa Mesa, CA. It was great not having to travel so far. Most of Justin's siblings were his Grandparents a few aunts, uncles and cousins. His cousin who lives there has this great pool with a waterfall and a slide. With a bag over her arm even Malia got to go down the slide. We also spent a day at Crystal Cove, this neat little beach that has houses you can rent. I would love to be able to rent one someday. The cool thing is that the average person like me could afford one, if, you can get a reservation to stay there.

FULL HOUSE
Between the reunion and the visit from the Brown's we held our first indoor party at our new house. We had family over for Lyndie's blessing as well as Malia's birthday but this was the first time that everything was held indoors. With some friends from church I hosted a baby shower, it was fun to have so many people in our home and to see that they could all fit. I lost count after about 25 adults and 6 kids!
BROWNS TAKEOVER
We were lucky enough to have Justin's family come and visit for a few days after the reunion. Aleen, Darren, Quentin, Jeff, Shelley, Melissa, and her fiance, Joshua all stayed for a few days. The girls loved having so many adults to pay attention to them and with the help of aunts and uncles improved their gymnastic skills! Justin and Darren got to spend their birthdays together and we all enjoyed their birthday pies!

OVERCOME with ANTS
Has anyone else had this problem? I actually even dreamed about them one night. The ants have taken hold and are not letting up. Some days I just throw my hands up them and say, "you win"! Anyone have any good solutions for getting rid of them?
PARK DAYS, POOL PLAY AND THEN SOME...
I think that this summer has been one of the sunniest and warmest that I can remember...not that it isn't always paradise here, but it has seemed warmer and sunnier than other summers. We've enjoyed weekly trips to the pool Christal belongs to as well as our weekly park group. It's hard for me to believe that our park group has been in existence for over 3 years now, actually I think it is more like 4 but I started going right before Lainey was born. One of the funnest things we did this summer was go pick blueberries at a local farm. I discovered that I really do LIKE blueberries and I think it will have to be a yearly tradition. The next best thing to eating the yummy berries was watching my kids and nieces and nephew play in the mud while all the other parents steered their kids way far away from the mud pile!
ALL SUMMERED OUT
Lainey has recently been asking if it is time to go to school again...I guess she is ready for summer to end, I'm not!








































3 comments:

Meg said...

Looks like you have been busy. I was wondering where you had been.
Things are going to pick up here with Greg and myself having to become more engaged in our callings. We have had a good summer, but it has been HOT - hate it actually.
Hey, you need to share how you did the fun banner at the top of your blog. I have been trying to figure out how to do that.

amyndodd said...

Hey I like the new look of your blog!! I want to know how to do that too!

Perez Family said...

what a busy summer you've had! That's funny that you don't want summer to end... I'm so glad the kids are back in school! I love the routine of the school year. We had a big ant problem at our old apartment - soooo frustrating, especially when they made their way into our water jugs! I used the ant spray, but I've heard their are traps that work well. My solution was to MOVE. I hated those things!