Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Vacation...wait, we took children along!



So we spent a week near Yosemite last week, it was suppose to be a vacation but we took children along! I have decided that we can no longer call vacations, "vacations" because we get all excited thinking about days gone past when we got to lay on beaches, sleep past 6am, snorkel...etc. Because anyone who has traveled with little children knows that time spent away from home is not as carefree and relaxful as you think it is going to be. About half way through the trip I told Justin, "it's adventure Justin, we need to call it an adventure, when we travel with the girls." Don't get me wrong we had a wonderful time and I am glad we went it's just not really relaxful when you travel with little ones. We just need to remind ourselves that we need to go at "their pace" and find out what makes them happy...and then we are all happy!

I read this quote last October when we were on our vacation in Utah for Justin's sister's wedding and I actually called the store and had them read it to me so I could write it down. It is:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things.

Once we started focusing on the little things on our vacations it was much more pleasant for everyone. Like playing in the pool, they loved it, they asked to go in everyday, and I think we made it everyday. Or looking in the lake for golfballs, they then spent an hour or so playing with them in the parking lot...don't worry we were sitting outside with them and not a single car came the whole time. Spending over 2 hours at the children's museum. Finding "glass dolls" at the thrift store. Looking for deer. Riding the little train car on the old logging railroad. But by far I think their favorite was frog hunting. After being at the condo for 5 days we finally made it down to Bass Lake which was a short 2 minute walk from our condo and we were in "frog heaven". Justin and the two little girls came back with one frog, and then the rest of us followed them back down and they had so much fun hunting down frogs and covering themselves in mud! At one point I think Lainey had 20 frogs in her cup of mud!

It was good to spend time together and Lyndie learned she can climb out of the pack n play and has since learned to climb out of the crib too! aahhhh...didn't anyone give her the memo that in our family you are suppose to stay in your crib until you are at least 2 and a half!

3 comments:

The Y Family said...

I love the picture! The girls are so big! What a beautiful forest! I am so glad you got to enjoy the "little moments together" like frog hunting! So Fun!!

WE can't wait to come see your new chair and curtains - and kids and you! Love you all!

Celeste

Tanya said...

I love your insight. It is the little things that matter with our little ones. I wish I could remember that's what makes up the big picture in our lives. It reminds me of the talk Pres. Monson gave on appreciating the here and now. One day the piles of laundry will be gone and we'll miss them.

grandmaaleen said...

Marisa and Justin, it's awesome that you're continuing to plan and have these "adventures," whether close or far from home. I loved the details of your experiences. It's true that the simple child-centered activities really are the most memorable part of a trip for the children. . . Remember the little frog the kids found at Thousand Springs last May? So fun!

Marisa, thank you for your delightful sharing, as always. It "makes" my day to stay in touch with my beloved children and grandchildren.

How exciting that you found that lovely chair, throw, and tree at bargain prices! It's wonderful that there are generous families that are willing to share their excess.

Have a relaxing, slow-paced week!

Love to all,
Mom / Grandma Aleen, Darren, and Elder Brown / Quentin