Friday, October 10, 2008

Taking a stand...

I have a battle raging inside me, a battle to protect my family, those I love and the plan our Father in heaven has in store for each of us. I still remember sitting in the Marriot Center 13 years ago when President Hinckley began his address at the Relief Society General Broadcast, it went something like this, "Sisters I hope the brethern will excuse for getting out late tonight but I have an important message to share..." and then he went on to read The Family A Proclamation to the World. I knew it was important but not until the last few months have I really sensed the importance of that message, and I think how lucky we are to have a prophet on this earth who can give us guidance and direction. It so clearly stated in that proclamation the role families, of husbands, of wives, of what marriage truly is. And today in my state that I truly love, it's the place that I grew up, it has been redefined. It is no more than a union between party A and party B. There is no man or woman in it anymore and it saddens me. And for that we fight. For the fact that 4 judges overuled what we already stated as the law here. For our children to not be taught in schools what "CA deems marriage to be." To continue to have our religious freedoms.

May be it's a far shot but I couldn't help but reflect as Elder Ballard spoke in General Conference about our pioneer forefathers holding the standard of truth upright that we were doing the same thing here today as we seek to "redefine marriage between a man and a woman". We are striving to see The Truth of God going forth... it gave me strength to listen to his words and to think of those who had to leave their homes and all they knew so that the church could be built. Remembering their strength and convicition gives me power to move forward.

I nearly had an anxiety attack the other night as I made phone calls to talk to people about Prop 8, but somehow I will find a way to do my part. For several weeks Justin and I have walked the precints. Tonight we stood on a street corner near the government center with our signs. There were a few no's and unkind words spoken but overall the reaction was positive. I loved watching people as they read our signs, and then gave us a thumbs up or honked their car horns as they drove by. And I wondered about the conversations that followed after I could see children reading our signs and then turn to their parents to ask I am sure, "what is prop 8?"

We attended a broadcast the other night where several general authorities spoke, it strengthened my conviction in the matter and made me once again realize the importance of talking and sharing with others what I know and believe.

I know there are others out there who feel the same as we do and I pray that the people of my state will realize and understand the importance of this issue at hand.

Check out these sites for more info




8 comments:

M2 (Melissa) said...

Good for you guys! Keep UP the work - you are not alone! I love your pages!

Jodi said...

I've been struggling to put my thoughts about prop 8 on "paper." You couldn't have said it better. And I'm so proud of you and your little family for standing out side with your sign and getting the word out. From what I understand, this isn't an impossible race to win, it's just incredibly close. That's why it's to important we all get outside our comfort zones (just as you have) and help. Wish me luck, I get to make phone calls Monday night (eek).

grandmaaleen said...

It is such a "treat" to find new photos of the girls and you and Justin on your blog! We are blessed by the foresight of our prophets to guide us in these turbulent, troubled times.

May the dedicated efforts of those encouraging Californians to vote YES on Proposition 8 be blessed with successful passage of this important ammendment! Thank you, Marisa and Justin, for your service and commitment.

We love you truly,
Mom, Darren, and Elder Q. Brown

Meg said...

Good for you Marisa!!! Wouldn't it be great if we could all take such stances and time on all issues like this. I really hope it goes our way - God's way!

Tanya said...

I think we must have been sitting in the same Marriot Center 13 years ago. Thank you for sharing your testimony and strengthening my home and family.
Keep up the good work!

Youngquist Family said...

That's time well spent! My parents are also involved in the effort in
San Diego. I remember back when we made calls for prop 22. I hope the result is the same. I think it really strengthens your belief in a principle to have to fight for the freedom to preserve it. Good luck.

katie and co. said...

Way to go guys! We've been doing our part here in AZ as we are one of the other states voting on the proposition this November. I'm hoping all our efforts pay off...

Miss Jill said...

I am so impressed that you are taking such a public stand that is so out of a normal comfort zone. Proposition 8 has been topic for a lot of conversations here in Idaho. We are all very concerned and interested in hte outcome. Please let us know what we can do to help.