Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Chinese New Year


It's not too late to still celebrate the Chinese New Year since is does last for 2 weeks! We began a fun little family tradition of celebrating last year...if anyone wants a FHE lesson on Chinese New Year let me know and I will email it to you and this year we even attended a local celebration with dancers.
I was first introduced to this wonderful 2 week vacation, when I went to teach in Taiwan. It was great, we had just gotten to the country, we taught for a few weeks and then got a two week paid vacation...which meant time for an adventure! And oh what an adventure it was...first off was Justin's surprise visit which turned into a bit of a nightmare, well at least the getting him to Taiwan without a passport, acquiring one in two days and then having it lost in San Francisco, the many train rides, hostels, hot springs...with naked Taiwanese people in them, hitchhiking out of a national park, having a "family picture" with the family who gave me a ride, my dear friend Rachel jumping off a train in the dead of the night, a rocky boat, spiders the size of your hands, riding three to a moped in the rain, without headlights that stayed on by themself, sitting in 1 of only 2 in the world's salt water hot springs, getting lost from our friends, swimming in the ocean, missing the "famed sunrise" over the mountains because there were too many clouds, trying to decide if Justin liked me or not?....oh the list could go on...and all of this happened in the space of a week! I am so grateful for Jean's minute to minute travel log that she kept, reading through it replays the whole thing over and over again!

2 comments:

Rachel Mai said...

I'm about to pee my pants--oh the memories. *sigh* How fun would it be to re-take that trip with our kids one day (minus the train jumping of course) I hope the other girls read this.

How cute are your little blonde china dolls? I would like a copy of your FHE lesson. I'll actually be able to put it to use next year, yay! :)

Love you girl!!!

Jodi said...

Marisa what a fun way to get your girls interested in other cultures! You are such a fun mom; I really admire all the effort you put into making each day fun and special for your girls.