Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My ancestors would be proud...at least I hope!


In honor of pioneer day my sister and I decided that we would make our girls bonnets and aprons...I am proud to say that I did, I am not sure about Christal as I finished mine up tonight alone but they were not nearly as hard as we imagined them to be, and I even sort of understood the jist of the pattern language.

When I was in 5th grade my teacher had us all write down what we were going to be, I said I was going to be a famous fashion designer and seamstress, I didn't know at that time that the lanuage they use in patterns is not English, well besides a few halloween costumes and princesses dresses this is as far as I have gotten on that goal. But after tonight I think that I might just give it a try! Even little Lyndie got one, but since it was 11:45pm when I finished her's I was not about to wake her to pose for a photo! The girls are so exicted for the upcoming stake pioneer activity this weekend!

I like to think that my grandmother's and great-grandmother's would be happy with my sewing abilities, they aren't much but at least I'm trying and I think the girls have caught the sewing bug too!


Here is Lainey working on her pillow, I had to keep a close eye on her as everytime I turned around she was trying to get on my sewing machine!


The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to wrestle my 3 kids in the fabric store, every time I take all of them in there, I say never again, but I always seem to forget!

If anyone is interested in making one let me know and I will email you the pattern name and #, Christal took it home. It only took about an hour to make a bonnet and an apron.



5 comments:

Laura said...

So cute!! We have a family reunion next week where we are supposed to dress as pioneers for part of the time. I have bonnets, but would love the apron pattern! I'm very impressed with your sewing abilities my dear!

The Y Family said...

Marisa -
Your talent, gifts, and abilities never cease to amaze me! They turned out great!!! The girls look adorable! I am left speachless...
Love You!
Celeste

melissabastow said...

Those bonnets are very cute!!

Aleen said...

Wonderful job of sewing these pioneer hats and aprons, Marisa! The girls are so sweet in them. . . I'll post info. on MyFamily about the Pioneer Day Commemorative Concert (with the Osmonds) that will be broadcast on Saturday night (July 26) at 7:30 p.m. on lds.org/broadcast. Maybe you'll be at your party then, though.

The boys arrived home Friday afternoon from their Sierras adventure, saying there were too many bugs, etc. Quen caught a big fish that they enjoyed eating! Quentin and I had a live "chat" on Facebook; then I convinced him to call me on the cell. He forgot that Verizon to Verizon is a FREE call. Unfortunately, his words are sparce, but we talked over 20 minutes--a record for him!

How was your camping trip, Marisa?

Love to all,
Grandma Aleen

Angela said...

Those bonnets and aprons are adorable. Way to go Marisa. I don't have any sewing skills. My mom is great at sewing and I'm sorry to say I give her my things to sew and mend. I guess I do need to develop my own sewing skills---maybe after this next baby grows up.